Voting closes on March 10, Sunday! Please help select the posts to be migrated before then.
This is some kind of followup for a series of questions already in this meta site. The most relevant of them are (please note the dates, and remember some of them were posted while we were a mere beta siteling):
- Will mathematica questions on stackoverflow be migrated to this beta (and if so, when ?)
- Should we migrate the “Toolbag” question?
- What criteria should guide us to flag new questions on SO for migration here?
After his answer on the last question, I've exchanged a few lines in chat with our new m
to ad and decided to post this question.
As the matter has been discussed extensively in the links above and in some others there is no point in doing it again.
These are my conclusions, downovote if you don't agree with them, upvote if you do, run away if you can't evaluate: (for those single minded:
If [!agree, downVote, upVote, runAway])
- It isn't reasonable to bulk migrate SO Mathematica questions
- It's highly desirable to migrate some outstanding and relevant questions. Because of the question per se, or because it received very good answer/s
- The voting score of those jewels is not enough to judge how relevant the question is for this community nowadays
- There are some important considerations to keep in mind while
pondering if a question should be migrated:
- Context (older related questions/answers/comments)
- Existing answers already covering the topic in Mathematica.SE
- Users eventually complaining about losing rep on StackOverflow
- Last but not least, the migrated questions will need some rework.
(edit by rm) Migrating old questions now is extremely difficult (disabled for posts > 60 days but occasional exceptions might be allowed — this feature has not been implemented yet), so please only consider those questions that are very very specific to Mathematica. So no general programming questions or generic questions in which Mathematica only plays a supporting role.
Retagging at least. Perhaps some Mma version considerations, formatting math into $\LaTeX$ (not here :S ), etc. And someone's effort (yours) needs to be available for that.
All that said, the proposal is the following: Let's make here a list of questions you consider too important to leave behind. One question per answer, and let's the community decide via (up)(down) voting if the questions should be migrated.
I propose the following simple rules, to be discussed:
- Only one migration proposal per answer, with a link and a justification (only if needed)
- (edit by rm) If the proposal reaches +10, the mods will go through the appropriate channels to get the question migrated.
- If the proposal doesn't reach +10 in three months after you post it, or reaches a score of -5, it will be deleted it to avoid cluttering
- This very question can be closed and reopened by the mods at will, depending on how the chores of migration are being handled by the community