There are presently 122 questions tagged and only 10 tagged . Should these tags be merged and made synonymous? If so which should be the master? User-interface seems broader perhaps?

  • I'm leaning towards a merge, plus a rename into user-interfaces. – J. M.'s ennui May 20 '15 at 8:44
  • 1
    User-interface is the more general category. It can also refer to external controllers as possible in Manipulate and acoustic and tactile feedback. The G in GUI restricts the definition to on-screen interfaces. – Sjoerd C. de Vries May 20 '15 at 10:08
  • @Sjoerd That was my perception. Do you feel there is risk of diluting the meaning too much? – Mr.Wizard May 20 '15 at 10:09
  • 1
    For now, I believe user interface questions mostly concern graphical interfaces. This may change in the future though (I remember having written about interfacing with the WII balance board a couple of years ago), and a distinction may be needed then. Having to re-tag all questions at that time may be a pain. So, I see three alternatives: 1) using User-interface as a main tag and adding relevant sub tags (GUI, tactile, controllers) or 2) not using user-interfaces and directly tag the subtype of UI or 3) if traffic is low, use user-interface as synonym and master. – Sjoerd C. de Vries May 20 '15 at 10:28
  • 1
    I see some examples of touch related functions for tablet based inputs emerging in V10, so I expect this aspect will be fleshed out more in future updates. This will increase the need for separate tags. – Sjoerd C. de Vries May 20 '15 at 10:30
  • I'm not really in favor of one option or another, but if I had to choose right now I'd pick 1). – Sjoerd C. de Vries May 20 '15 at 10:34
  • 1
    related: 1265 – Kuba May 20 '15 at 13:00

This is a difficult issue because some people are interpreting as a synonym for . For example, this question. Those who are doing so are being quite reasonable since has no tag wiki excerpt to guide them.

I also note that there is a tag, (15 uses), which seems a more likely candidate for being made a synonym for

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .